Amos Miller claims his Miller’s Natural Farm has come into compliance with meals security rules. It ought to not be vital for him to pay that $250,000 fantastic imposed on him for contempt of courtroom, he says.
Miller, who has till Monday to pay the fantastic, filed courtroom paperwork Friday pleading with the federal decide to waive or scale back the fantastic. He cites progress he’s made in coming into compliance with the courtroom’s orders, together with:
- On or earlier than July 22, Miller ceased the slaughter and supply of amenable animals.
- On or earlier than July 22, Miller ceased all amenable meat and poultry-related retail-exempt operations pending compliance with federal and state necessities of the Contempt Order.
- On Aug 4, Miller equipped USDA’s Meals Security and Inspection Service (FSIS) with the identify of their proposed certified, third impartial occasion to conduct the stock required by the Contempt Order.
- On Aug 5, data was posted on the Miller’s Natural Farm web site as required by the Contempt Order.
- On Aug.18, Miller reimbursed FSIS for its enforcement prices as required by the Contempt Order, and FSIS confirmed receipt of $14,436.26, which was the quantity owed.
Miller swears that each one court-required actions at the moment are taken, aside from paying the $250,000 fantastic.
Christopher D. Carusone, Miller’s legal professional, says the $250,000 fantastic “seems to be structured as a coercive sanction.” The Harrisburg, PA, legal professional stated the $250,000 fantastic “is inconsistent with the extenuating circumstances that prompted Mr. Miller’s acts of noncompliance.”
Miller violated a earlier courtroom order by resuming his slaughter operations. He took that motion after Belmont Meats instructed Miller it may not use Miller’s citric acid as an antimicrobial.
In Friday’s courtroom paperwork, Miller stated his actions had been “provoked by a sudden change in circumstances, not by some evil need to trick the federal government.”
In his movement to the courtroom, Carusone asks the courtroom to scale back the fantastic to “not more than $25,000.” Miller has raised at the least $75,000 from supporters on the web.
Miller’s legal professional says the $250,000 fantastic “is extreme” and never the least coercive sanction moderately calculated to win compliance with the courtroom’s orders.
If the $250,000 fantastic stays a requirement, Miller asks for “90 days from the disposition of this movement to make cost.” Miller was imagined to pay the $250,000 fantastic inside 30 days or threat going to jail.
The Amish Miller owns farmlands in a number of states and his personal purchaser’s membership. Noncompliance with meals security rules by Miller goes again greater than 5 years.
Authorities prosecutors haven’t responded to Miller’s motions.
Miller was present in Contempt of Courtroom after violating a Nov. 19, 2019, Injunction Order and an April 16, 2020 Consent Decree,
(To join a free subscription to Meals Security Information, click on right here.)